So I have some money, and I want to spend it. I know I'm going to spend it on gaming, but I don't know what to specifically get. So I'm asking natf2 for opinions.
I have 5 options currently.
1. Get a new video card. I can Crossfire my current card and the new card assuming they're compatible. I don't really see a downside to this.
2. Get a new monitor. My current one is something like 5 years old, and is only 1440x900 and 60Hz. As it's still a good monitor, I would still use it somehow. A drawback to getting a new monitor is lowering my already low framerate (it usually stays around 100-120, but on 24-slot pubs it can get down below 60). I'm not using an FPS config at the moment so this might not be a problem. This is assuming I get a 120Hz monitor with a greater resolution than my current monitor.
3. Get a new CPU. I currently have a Phenom II x4 and would probably get much better performance in TF2 with an i5 or i7. I would have to buy a new motherboard and possibly new RAM, so this might end up costing me more than I have. This should probably wait until I get a job.
4. Get a new hard drive. A SSD would be nice, but a 1 or 2 TB HDD would also. The problem with an SSD is that I wouldn't be able to install anything on it unless I'm willing to spend something like $1000. And regarding TB HDDs, I can probably work with what I have until the next console generation., where games can be up to 25 or 50 GB.
5. Get a new console. The only console I have this generation is a Wii. As Microsoft has not impressed me at all 3 years in a row (Really, Microsoft?) I'd get a PS3. While this seems to be a good choice, the real question here is "Would I play it often?" I already have a back catalog of Wii games to finish (and considering 99% of the games worth playing are 1st party, and there's a lot of 3rd party games, that really says a lot). And I can buy a lot of PS3 games for the PC anyway, I'm mostly missing out on 1st party titles. I'll probably pick one up at some point, like when the PS4 comes out and all the PS3s are dirt cheap.
I need suggestions for the monitor and HDD. I really don't know what I want to buy right now so I hope you guys (& girls?) can help.